Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Monday, October 20, 2014

31 Days of Courage: The Courage To Lighten Up

I get mixed up by those different personality types.  Especially choleric.  What the heck is choleric?  I could probably Google it but it’s Sunday afternoon and I want to keep the electronic buzz to a minimum.

There is one personality type I’m extremely familiar with, though, because it lives in my skin.

Melancholic. 

That crying prophet Jeremiah, he was a melancholic too.  Apt to see the darker side.  Apt to think things through until they’re like a chicken boiled in a pot for 3 days straight.  Worst of all, apt to take ourselves way too seriously.

It’s so hard to lighten up when you’re all wired to sort out.  You’ve got to dig around, search your soul, ponder and contemplate until you’re “dead in the water”.  (Quote belongs to my son David).

For people like me, lightening up, reading the funny papers, playing a game, actually require an effort I would say is akin to courage, if not courage itself.  I can’t explain it except to say that if you are a person like me, you know what I mean.  It’s like being a catcher, and being asked to pitch a few innings.  It requires stepping out of that heavy gear and getting out of that crouchy position and letting a few things simply fly.  For you Tigger’s out there it seems like a no brainer.  But for us Eeyore's, it really is a step of faith.


The Word of God of course is replete with the principles of perfect balance in life.  It’s right there in the Proverbs, plain as day:

“A merry heart doeth good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones.”  ~Proverbs 17:22

My husband, who has every good reason to sing the Blues as he works through daily pain from his run in with an intoxicated man in a 3 ton pick-up truck, has been God’s instrument of grace for my overly sober leanings.  Smitty was born with a laugh in his heart.  Heaven knows I would have worn nothing but black lo these grown up years if I had married a man like me.  Just this morning he showed me a funny comic, and got me to play a card game before my melancholic daughter shuffled back to Buffalo.  That man makes me happy every day.

Don’t get me wrong: I truly believe we are all put together in whatever way pleases God.  There is great beauty that has come from the melancholics of this world.  I simply think there is an ebb and flow to our natures, and a need for a hearty laugh, a good party, a goofy dance. 

Just sayin’, it doesn’t come natural to some of us.  We desperately need you wonderful, mirthful folks who can pull us off our tour bus of the tragic and take us to the fun house.  Give us a little courage to try on a different outfit.  Even if it’s only for a little while.

I bless all the wonderful people in my life who don’t let me take myself so seriously.

And I especially bless my God, who is chomping at the bit for all of us to come, dance, be merry, have a banquet, and rejoice and laugh for eternity. 

In just a little while.

Still, He wants us to have a measure of fun here too!  It just might take a bit of brave to do some bouncing.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,


Loriann

No comments:

Post a Comment