Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A New Landscape on the Pilgrim Road

Dear friends,

Over a year ago, I began writing a blog because of a catastrophic event in the life of my family.  When Delmar Full Gospel Church initially put up that blog in cyberspace for the purpose of keeping folks updated on the progress of the Smitties, neither they nor I had any idea it would take on a life of its own, and become a source of joy and consolation to my soul.  Most surprising of all, especially to me, those daily entries seemed to encourage a number of folks who, like me, were learning how to walk the wild, unpredictable road of life with a great, untamed, relentlessly faithful God.

I ended those daily writings 11 months after I started.  I knew the time had come to close the door on that particular endeavor, for many reasons - some which I was able to articulate, and others that were deeply private.  But that experience encompassing the disaster, recovery and indeed the writing, was profoundly rich in my life.  And I found it brought me to the place of humility and grace over and over again, in the company of community, where the Great One does much of His work within us.

So here we go again - except not really. Because this blog isn't about the fallout of a terrible car accident.  (In a way neither was the first blog - but you can check that out for yourself on the side bar if you like).  The accident will live in my soul forever, and has certainly transformed me in countless ways.  I am grateful for all I have gained so far as that process continues.  This time around, my goal is simply to share the pilgrim road with you.  My hope is that my stumblings and risings will encourage all who read here to follow hard after Jesus Christ - the Way, the Truth and the Life, and the Lover of our broken but immensely valuable souls.

I don't think I'm a font of wisdom, nor do I claim to understand deep, spiritual truths in any unique way.  I do believe heartily though, in the wisdom of the scripture which says "You must encourage one another each day.  And you must keep on while there is still a time that can be called "today". ~Hebrews 3:13  This "present darkness" as the bible calls it is a mine field of distraction and folly.  The walk of faith was never meant to be done solo.  We must look after one another.  We must be our "brother's keeper" if we are to withstand the onslaught of "the world, the flesh, and the devil".  Of course Christ alone is the Master of our ultimate keeping.  But He himself instructed us to love one another.  He was dead serious with that command.  We have to be too.  God help me to get there!

Like that other blog, I hope this one keeps me honest along my pilgrim highway.  I have no idea what is ahead for you or me, just as I had no idea calamity would come careening into my life on a warm November day in 2009.  But just as sure as God continues to lead me and love me along the winding way, so he will for all who trust Him, until the pilgrim road culminates in the heavenly city, whose "architect and builder is God".

Once again, I write with no expectations, and if no one reads a word of my travellin' manual, that's ok.  To set myself up any other way would be foolish.  Any effort to please man damages our souls in profound ways.  How do I know?  I've done the stupid thing.  (You'll find most of what I know I've learned the hard way...)  But my passion is to learn and grow and be transformed.  And that would be impossible without the saving grace of a great Savior.  But yahoo!  I've got one.  And it's His heart's desire that every man, woman and child on the face of the earth taste and see His goodness and mercy.  Not just know it from a book, but experience it in the reality of our present moments.

Each of us has something to express that reveals the light of God.  Some do it with words, some with music (I wish that was me!), some with gentle healing, some with building things, some with tearing things down, some with teaching, some with preaching, some through buying and selling, some by wielding justice, some by distributing mercy.  It is in the mundane of everyday life that the spectacular work of the Great One is performed in us.  He does the work.  We cooperate.  Or don't.  That give and take is what makes up the landscape of the pilgrim road. 

In every aspect of life on this highway, God can, and ought to be glorified.  He is supremely worthy.  May every word I write on these pages bring Him honor and you encouragement.

Your friend on the pilgrim road,

Loriann

P.S.  Now I'm a total technical knucklehead, so be patient with me as I work out the glitches on this new venture.  So glad to be communicating with you again.  Pure joy!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! Welcome back :) I've missed your daily blogs. May it be a blessing to you and all who set their eyes upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..........and I'm glad you're communicating with us again too!! Hooray!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're back, Loriann. My only disappointment will not be having a DAILY dose of the Smith family doings. Have a blessed Christmas and a great 2011. See you in the New Year!
    Hugh

    ReplyDelete