Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Pilgrim Road Blog Photo

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy New Year, Sans Resolutions...Well, Maybe One...

Dear friends,

I don't make New Year's resolutions.  I gave that up quite a while ago, mainly because my resolutions made me feel like a failure, when a month, or a week, or most often a day later, I renegged.  Willpower doesn't run strong in this puppy.  I've made my peace with it though.  The Great One says His mercies are "new every morning".  So living out change can be a daily affair.  Much more manageable for a fickle soul like mine.  Sometimes, I'm living out change one hour at a time. Sometimes one minute.  And always, always it's by the power of the Spirit of God.  Not to sound falsely humble, but I really can't run this show (my life!).  I seem to make much more of a dent in this stubborn, sinful, apathetic nature when I surrender to God rather than try to muster up my flimsy willpower.  Let's face it: there's no fighting the power of this world's ugly side when you can't even say no to an Oreo.  And since fighting that darkness is part of what life's really about, one must have the courage to trust God and act on His direction.  All eggs in one basket.  Yikes.

At any rate, today I bumped into a quote by Clyde Kilby, a late professor of theology from Wheaton College, and decided this year I will make one resolution he made for his life.  It goes like this:

"I shall not fall into the falsehood that this day, or any day, is merely another ambiguous and plodding twenty-four hours, but rather a unique event, filled, if I so wish, with worthy potentialities. I shall not be fool enough to suppose that trouble and pain are wholly evil parentheses in my existence but just as likely ladders to be climbed toward moral and spiritual manhood."

I really like that resolution.  And as with any other transformation of outlook, it can't be done on personal steam.  The Great One alone can stoke the engine of change. The good news: it's exactly what He's looking to do.  We take the step, he clears the path for the next one.  We grab the handle, He opens the door.  It's a mysterious cooperation between our free will and His sovereign grace.  Getting past our own unbelief and stagnancy is the biggest hurdle.  Don't I know it....

It's not the 1st yet, but today while I'm driving kids, going to work at Albany Med, cooking chili, overcoming personal obstacles, wiping slush off my kitchen floor (for the 5th time), handing car keys to my 17 year old driver, and a multitude of other mundane, (sometimes scary) acts , I will be mindful that this is a "unique, event filled" 24 hours.  Take the crummy thing you have to do today and suppose it is a "ladder to be climbed toward moral and spiritual manhood".  I'm willing to bet it will make cleaning off the car, dealing with a difficult customer, or far more serious trials come alive with meaning and truth.  Of course, we learn this stuff a little at a time.  The Captain of our souls knows the best track to get us there.  It's not often smooth and linear.  I'm asking for grace simply to leave the Oreo alone for a start. 

Sending many prayers your way, friends.  If you have any New Year's resolutions I'd love to hear them. 

Your friend on the last bit of the 2010 pilgrim road,

Loriann

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Loriann. Good to be able to read your thoughts again, even though I'm the one priveleged to hear them at home as well. Now if I could stop listening to M&Ms and candy corn . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Stephen said! Your words are music to my soul.........it's TRUE!!!! Your gift of writing and your obedience to follow His lead continue to bless, inspire, challenge and well, probably effect me in ways I don't even know yet. I'm so glad you are doing this blog! Oh, and by the way, I can completely relate to the oreo comment :))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete